“I don’t like reading.” I’ve heard this phrase countless times and my reply is always the same thing: You just haven’t found the right book yet. I truly believe mood reading is one of the best ways to stay engaged in a book and to find something that resonates to maybe pull you out of a slump you are experiencing. So whether you are feeling happy or sad or angry, or whatever else in between, reading a book can be so valuable!
Happy Reads! ☀️
Beach Read by Emily Henry:
- This book has its emotionally charged moments that can make you feel sad, but the overall theme invokes optimism and positivity.
- Truly a great read to look at the world in a beautiful way
Caraval by Stephanie Garber:
- A thrilling fantasy that gets you hooked in the story
- The characters are all very lovable and easy to connect with while reading
- The book has a nostalgic, fairytale feel that will make you feel magical
Disclaimer: I do not recommend reading totally sad novels when feeling down. These recommendations will be introspective and involve sad feelings, but also invoke feelings to help you out of your slump.
The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwabb:
- A beautifully written novel that deals with real issues in a unique manner
- The prose and story are sure to make you feel everything while reading
- Ends in a bittersweet way that will leave you thinking harder about everything around you
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi:
- A long series, but very very worth it
- The writing style is unique, but really resonates with me personally as it is very introspective
- The main character struggles with her feelings of anxiety, but grows into a confident and inspiring character
Alone With You in the Ether by Olivie Blake:
- This is a simple story with intricate writing that deals with the coexistence of personal struggle and love
- A really thoughtful novel that will engage you throughout your reading journey
Cathatric Reads ✨
Vicious by V.E. Schwabb:
- A gripping story that will have you turning the pages so quickly.
- The main character deals with his issues in a way that is oddly satisfying and interesting
- Reading this book is such a immersive experience!
(Warning: The Poppy War is an extremely complex novel about war and can be hard to read for sensitive audiences.)
The Poppy War by RF Kuang
- There really is no way to categorize this book, because it is a whirlwind of emotions and complexities. However, it is my favorite book of all time because of this.
- A rich novel filled with history, character development, and a complicated plot that will hook you in
Unmotivated Reads 🏋️♀️
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- So many complex characters who have struggled immensely, but get out of their slumps
- I love reading this when I'm in a lazy mood; it always gives me more determination
The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
- The main character is so driven and determined, it always gives me a nice little boost.
- Also such a fun read because of the political intrigue and plot twists!
Self-Reflection Reading 💌
Now I’m not a big nonfiction reader, but I know these books can be a great resource for those who really want to self-reflect.
Here are some recommendations from a friend who lives by reading them:
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- Dare to Lead by Brene Brown
I hope this article has helped you find a great read, no matter how you are feeling. Reading can truly be a life changing experience, but if you have the right book. So try out mood reading and see how it goes!
Welcome to the Girl Gains Publication 💌
We highlight inspiring, educational, and entertaining articles written by women for women. Happy reading!