Unflavored greek yogurt is a must have in my fridge. It’s high protein, versatile, and nutritious. My favorite brand is Fage because it's SUPER thick and creamy. Unflavored yogurt sounds bland, but if you get creative, it's the ultimate high protein meal hack. Here are three recipes that harness the full potential of this amazing staple, plain greek yogurt.
Baked potatoes are so satisfying, it’s one of my favorite comfort foods. This ranch flavored version is a fun spin on the original! I love making this meal because it requires very little hands on cooking.
- A russet potato (around ½ lb is perfect for me!)
- Bacon (I use 3 slices of turkey bacon, but pork or vegan bacon works too!)
- 28g (¼ cup) skim shredded mozzarella
- Ranch seasoning
- 150g (just below ¾ cup) greek yogurt
- Green onions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Using a fork or knife, poke holes on all sides of your potato. To make it even more delicious rub the skin of the potato with salt and olive oil (optional).
- Bake the potato on a baking sheet in the oven for 45 mins to 1 hour (it's ready when it is easily punctured with a fork). Don’t turn off the oven yet, because you’ll need it later!
- Once your potato is almost ready, it's time for the rest of the prep work. Preheat a pan and cook your bacon (I like mine super crispy), slice the green onions (using the white parts, and some of the green)
- In a bowl, combine half of the greek yogurt, a little bit of water or milk to thin it out, ranch seasoning, and salt & pepper to taste
- Once the potato is cooked, wait for it to cool enough to handle, then cut in half. Scoop out the insides and add to the bowl with the yogurt mixture. Mash the mixture together.
- To the potato mixture, add most of the cheese, bacon, and green onions (reserving the rest to put on top), then mix
- Stuff the potato skins with the potato mixture
- Top with the remaining cheese
- Put the stuffed potato back in the oven until the cheese is melted and the mixture is warmed throughout
- Top the baked potato with the remaining greek yogurt (I mix in a little salt), bacon, and green onions
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Cream Sauce
4 servings (2 tacos per person)
These tacos are so good they’ll have you going back for seconds. I add seasoning to taste, so feel free to adjust to your liking.
- 1lb peeled and deveined shrimp
- 8 low carb tortillas (you can use any kind of tortilla that you like, I like this variety because they add a little extra protein per serving)
- ¼ - ⅓ cup Greek Yogurt (depending on how creamy you want the corn salad)
- 2 persian cucumbers (diced)
- 2 tablespoons of mayo (I use this one)
- 3 cups of fire roasted corn (I buy it frozen and defrost in a pan, but you could also use canned corn and toast it in a pan with a bit of oil for a toasty flavor)
- Finely chopped cilantro (I use around a handful)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Chile powder
- Taco seasoning (if you don’t have taco seasoning combine: salt, black pepper, cumin, paprika, and chile powder)
- Pickled red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: guacamole/avocado, shredded lettuce, cotija, jalapeno
- In a bowl, season your shrimp with chile powder, salt, and taco seasoning
- In a separate bowl, combine greek yogurt, mayo, chile powder, lime juice, salt and pepper, and chopped cilantro
- Once the yogurt mixture is combined, add the corn and diced cucumber (also add cotija and jalapeno if you’re including them)
- Allow the corn slaw to rest in the fridge while you prepare the shrimp
- Heat a pan on high heat and add oil or butter (just enough to prevent the shrimp from sticking), add shrimp and cook until firm and opaque
- Warm up your tortillas then top with the shrimp, corn slaw, pickled red onion, and any other toppings that you enjoy!
I make this taco meat mixture at least once a week. It’s so high in protein, flavorful, and has veggies for added nutrients! This recipe makes 3 servings of the meat mixture, perfect for meal prep. Typically I make 3 servings of rice and then all I need to prepare during the week is the side salad. I eat this meal without any additional toppings, but it would also be amazing with cheese, pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole, or whatever else you like.
- 1lb lean ground turkey (you can substitute ground chicken or beef)
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 35g greek yogurt (roughly 3 tablespoons)
- 150g brown rice (around ¾ cup)
- Taco seasoning (I like to use a seasoning packet, Siete makes delicious ones and they have both mild and spicy options)
- Chile powder and paprika (I love adding some extra seasoning)
- Lettuce (I like to use a bagged mix that includes cabbage and cilantro, but any lettuce would work)
- Ranch seasoning (you only need around 1 tsp, so one packet lasts a while)
- Optional: beans, pico de gallo, cheese, etc.
- Start cooking your rice according to package directions
- Dice your onion and bell pepper
- Preheat a pan on medium-high heat, add oil, then add veggies and seasoning (salt, chile powder, and paprika to taste) cook until browned
- Once cooked, remove veggies from the pan and set aside, we will mix these back in once the meat is cooked
- To the same pan on high heat, add oil and ground turkey. Without mixing, sprinkle the top with taco seasoning and salt, then mix to brown the meat
- One the ground turkey is browned, add tomato paste and cook until the meat is coated in tomato paste and the color changes from bright red to dark red (it shouldn’t take more than 2 minutes)
- Reduce heat to low and add the veggies back into the pan and mix, add additional seasonings as desired
- In a bowl, combine greek yogurt, ranch seasoning, and a bit of water to thin out the mixture
- Add your lettuce mix to the bowl and toss the salad to combine
- Plate your meal and enjoy!
- Take your plain greek yogurt, add a little lime, salt, and chile powder. This mixture is a perfect substitute for sour cream
- Plain greek yogurt is also the perfect base for a breakfast yogurt bowl. Just add a little honey, maple syrup, protein powder, or other sweetener to taste and top with fruit, cereal/granola, and nut butter.
Welcome to the Girl Gains Publication 💌
We highlight inspiring, educational, and entertaining articles written by women for women. Happy reading!